Friday, August 3, 2012

God of the Open Air,love poem,love quotes by Henry Vandyke

Music;
Andre Rieu - Annie's Song



Richard johnson art

Time is too slow for those who wait,
too swift for those who fear,
too long for those who grieve,
too short for those who rejoice,
but for those who love, time is eternity.
Henry Van Dyke

Who seeks for heaven alone to save his soul,
May keep the path, but will not reach the goal;
While he who walks in love may wander far,
Yet God will bring him where the blessed are.
Henry Van Dyke, The Other Wise Man


Richard Johnson Art

Love
Henry Van Dyke
Let me but love my love without disguise,
Nor wear a mask of fashion old or new,
Nor wait to speak till I can hear a clue,
Nor play a part to shine in others' eyes,


Nor bow my knees to what my heart denies;
But what I am, to that let me be true,
And let me worship where my love is due,
And so through love and worship let me rise.

For love is but the heart's immortal thirst
To be completely known and all forgiven,
Even as sinful souls that enter Heaven:
So take me, dear, and understand my worst,
And freely pardon it, because confessed,
And let me find in loving thee, my best.


Excerpts from:God of the Open Air
Henry Van Dyke

From the prison of anxious thought that greed has builded,
From the fetters that envy has wrought and pride has gilded,
From the noise of the crowded ways and the fierce confusion,
From the folly that wastes its days in a world of illusion,
(Ah, but the life is lost that frets and languishes there!)
I would escape and be free in the joy of the open air.

By the breadth of the blue that shines in silence o'er me,
By the length of the mountain-lines that stretch before me,
By the height of the cloud that sails, with rest in motion,
Over the plains and the vales to the measureless ocean,
(Oh, how the sight of the things that are
great enlarges the eyes!)
Lead me out of the narrow life, to the peace of the hills
and the skies.


While the tremulous leafy haze on the woodland is spreading,
And the bloom on the meadow betrays where
May has been treading;
While the birds on the branches above, and
the brooks flowing under,
Are singing together of love in a world full of wonder,
(Lo, in the marvel of Springtime, dreams are changed into truth!)
Quicken my heart, and restore the beautiful hopes of youth.


By the faith that the flowers show when they bloom unbidden,
By the calm of the river's flow to a goal that is hidden,
By the trust of the tree that clings to its deep foundation,
By the courage of wild birds' wings on the long migration,
(Wonderful secret of peace that abides in Nature's breast!)
Teach me how to confide, and live my life, and rest.


For the comforting warmth of the sun that my body embraces,
For the cool of the waters that run through the shadowy places,
For the balm of the breezes that brush my face with their fingers,
For the vesper-hymn of the thrush when the twilight lingers,
For the long breath, the deep breath, the breath
of a heart without care,--
I will give thanks and adore thee, God of the open air!

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this!Beautiful...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this blog...the contents are inspiring and sensational...substance is so rich and so nourishing...I thank God to have given this opportunity of sharing this...thank you...thank you...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. deeply humbled by your kind comment and you are always welcome!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...