Friday, September 6, 2013

Your Riches-taugh by Emily Dickinson


Your Riches-taugh
Emily Dickinson

Your Riches-taught me-Poverty.
Myself-a Millionaire
In little Wealths, as Girls could boast
Till broad as Buenos Ayre-

You drifted your Dominions-
A Different Peru-
And I esteemed All Poverty
For Life's Estate with you-

Of Mines,I little know- myself-
But just the names,of Gems-
The Colors of the Commonest-
And scarce of Diadems-

So much, that did I meet the Queen -
Her Glory I should know -
But this, must be a different Wealth -
To miss it - beggars so -

I'm sure 'tis India - all Day -
To those who look on You -
Without a stint - without a blame,
Might I - but be the Jew -

I'm sure it is Golconda -
Beyond my power to deem -
To have a smile for Mine-each Day,
How better, than a Gem!

At least, it solaces to know
That there exists - a Gold -
Altho' I prove it, just in time
Its distance-to behold -

Its far-far Treasure to surmise -
And estimate the Pearl -
That slipped my simple fingers through -
While just a Girl at School.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...