Saturday, November 21, 2015

Voltaire's philosophical reflections


To find out who rules over you,simply find out
who you are not allowed to criticize.

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend
to the death your right to say it.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make
you commit atrocities.


The man who says to me 'believe as I do or God will damn you will presently say believe as I do or I will murder you.

The discover of what is true,and the practice of that which is good, are the two most important objects of philosophy.

Superstition sets the whole world in flames;
philosophy quenches them.


Superstition is to religion what astrology is to astronomy;
the mad daughter of a wise mother.

An infallible method of making fanatics is to persuade
before you instruct.

Doubt is not a pleasant condition,but certainty is absurd.


Many are destined to reason wrongly; others, not to reason at all; and others, to persecute those who do reason.

Opinions have caused more ills than the plague
or earthquakes on this little globe of ours.

It is hard to free fools from the chains they revere.


Men will always be mad, and those who think they
can cure them are the maddest of all.

To the living we owe respect,but to the dead we owe only the truth.

I die adoring God, loving my friends,
not hating my enemies, and detesting superstition.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...